Daytime Iridium flare

johnfosteruk

Did anybody else spot this today? I was looking for the crescent Moon and Venus (which I found, no problem) Iridium 7, about 7 degrees from the Sun, it peaked at 16:48:01 at mag -6.3 according to SkySafari. Never seen one that bright in full daylight before.  

I saw it John, I spent the afternoon naked eye watching the stream of satellites made visible by the sun and thought I saw one of the satellites burn up.  Now I've I read your post I realise it must of been an Iridium flare because the time, location and visual completely correlates.

Andy

16 hours ago, Andy1978 said:

I saw it John, I spent the afternoon naked eye watching the stream of satellites made visible by the sun and thought I saw one of the satellites burn up.  Now I've I read your post I realise it must of been an Iridium flare because the time, location and visual completely correlates.

Andy

Where/how should one look to see such things?

On ‎16‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 15:45, Stub Mandrel said:

Where/how should one look to see such things?

On a bright clear day they look like they come straight out of the sun, many shiny satellites with the flare being the cherry on the cake.  I posted a video on one of my recent posts.

11 hours ago, Andy1978 said:

On a bright clear day they look like they come straight out of the sun, many shiny satellites with the flare being the cherry on the cake.  I posted a video on one of my recent posts.

I can't see the video here, but I'll try what you suggest!

image.png.2a67554dd2ba80032689998291c35b6a.png

Archived