Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Grinding Crayford Focusser

Hello Everyone,

Applogies for taking up your time I would be very grateful for some assistance with an issue I am experiencing with an ED80 focusser.

I recently purchased it from the forums here and just wondering if this is something I can resolve with an Allen key (about the extent of my engineering skills!)

Tbe left hand silver knob is grinding against the black coller. This results in very harsh noisy movements and I can see some small silver metal shavings coming off this area.

Please see attached photos and videos to hopefully help illustrate the problem. 

Here are a couple of YouTube videos to illustrate the noise.

Focus locked down: 

Focus open all the way:

Just wondering what the best way is to resolve? :)

Thank you once again I really appreciate any feedback!

Clear Skies & Best Wishes,

Murray

IMG_0724.JPG

IMG_0727.PNG

Hello LightBucket,

Thank you very much for the assistance and advice.

You are correct that does appear to have fixed the issue. I adjusted the Allen keys nearest the knobs to fix both grinding issues.

At least that's some weight taken off the scope now! :D

This hobby is amazing and frustrating at times. I think I have fixed the issue his is what I am getting from using the focusser now:

Again thank you so much for the help.

Murray

23 hours ago, Muzz said:

Hello LightBucket,

Thank you very much for the assistance and advice.

You are correct that does appear to have fixed the issue. I adjusted the Allen keys nearest the knobs to fix both grinding issues.

At least that's some weight taken off the scope now! :D

This hobby is amazing and frustrating at times. I think I have fixed the issue his is what I am getting from using the focusser now:

Again thank you so much for the help.

Murray

No problem....enjoy.. :)

Archived