Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron cg5-gt advanced.

Hi does anyone have any thoughts on the cg5-gt advanced mount.payload,tube size it will carry,performance against the eq5 or heq5.

Im looking for a decent mount mainly for visual but later on maybe a bit of imaging.

I bought one second hand with a C8N. For visual, best value for money ever - but for AP, C8N + DSLR + Guiding 60mm = weight at/beyond the limit (11kg for the OTA alone) and tube giving too much sail effect. I bought a SW130PDS seconds ago - litterally! (FLO, if you read this...) to put on the CG5 which I know for a fact will be an overkill for this OTA. In my experience, the CG5 can carry efficiently up to 8kg for AP, probably up to 12-15 for visual. With just the C8N+50mm finder (=12kg) , the tracking is performing above and beyond duty (routinely 60s unguided) Here is a 1x 90s taken with this setup (yesterday night!) and ok, there is not a lot of data but that shows you the tracking obtained at 90s : the stars are not perfectly round, but still, pretty damn close, without guiding. So, the mount definitely carries the weight. 

DSC06499.JPG

90s.jpg

Archived