N00b overwhelmed by kit

I have recently had a yen for astroimaging due to the incredible advances in imaging technology since I last had a scope. To that end, I have over the last several months amassed the following kit:

• Celestron Nexstar 8SE
  • Celestron CG-5 GEM
  • Celestron Starsense AutoAlign
  • Celestron  SkySync GPS
  • Celestron Sky Portal WiFi
  • Celestron OAG
  • ZWO ASI1200MM-C plugged into AutoGuider socket on the mount
  • SBIG ST-402me with colour wheel as main imager
  • Dew shield and heater
  • Celestron 17Ah Power Tank

What I would like to do is remote control the scope from inside the house with the scope set up on my patio. But never having done this before, I am not quite sure how to do this. I understand that I could remote control a second laptop outside the house, plugged into the autoguider and imaging camera,, and connected to the scope WiFi,  but have the following questions:

• Can I use the same software for guiding as for imaging, or would it be two separate programs?
  • How do I control the colour wheel on the SBIG when imaging RGB/Dark?
  • Is this sort of totally remote imaging a realistic goal?

1 hour ago, Dragonblaster said:

Can I use the same software for guiding as for imaging, or would it be two separate programs?

Two seperate programs... I personally use PHD2 and APT (Astrophotography Tool) for my imaging sessions.

1 hour ago, Dragonblaster said:

How do I control the colour wheel on the SBIG when imaging RGB/Dark?

Astrophotography Tool, APT, can control various hardware, aside from your camera and mount, it can communicate with PHD for dithering purposes, control a electronic Filter wheel and focusing also.... it can also be used to keep an eye on temperature.

2 hours ago, Dragonblaster said:

s this sort of totally remote imaging a realistic goal?

Yes it is.. I do it all the time... I remote into a outside laptop with all the hardware connected to it using VNC...

BTW, I use the same OTA but on a CGEM mount... the OTA can deliver some nice images.

Archived