NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Astronomik or Baader IR Pass filter - Lunar

johninderby

Which would be better for use with a ZWO ASI290 Mono camera for lunar imaging with a Skymax 180?

Astronomik (642) Pro Planet IR pass filter or Baader IR Pass (685) 

The Astronomik is a bit cheaper but is there any real difference compared to the Baader? The Baader is frequently recommended and seems to be a safe bet but has anyone had the chance to use the Astronomik? 

John

Hi John I use the asi 290mm and also have a Baader IR685 pass filter and to be Honest I can't see any difference between the standard red channel and the IR pass channel. The asi 290mm is very sensitive in the near IR as it is. So in indsight I should probably go for the Astronomik742 but the only problem with that would be with them not being parfocal as I use all Baader filters. I'll just add that the IR742 might be a bit to strong for your Skymax180 the IR642 might not be enough so I would definitely go for the Baader IR685 but any improvement will only be very slight.

Archived