SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Gravitational Waves FITS files

Hello everyone!

I don't know if this is the correct thread for this, so I apologize in advance if it isn't.

I am a senior year undergrad physics student, and my thesis project has to do with the multi messenger aspects of ultra high energy cosmic rays. One of the things I need is the "parameterization" of Gravitational Waves, more precisely, I need the 90% probability coordinates (I think that's what it is called) of the GW, in coordinates of Declination vs Right Ascension.

I already went to the LIGO data, where they have the sky location probability maps, installed python and healpy, and used the algorithm they give to analyse the file. I don't know why but it doesn't work.

Is there another way to retrieve the data I want from the FITS files? Some kind of software maybe?

Thank you for your attention,

José Alves

There may (there probably is) be libraries around that can get you the data from a FITS file. There is probably one for python as well.

However, failing to find one that suits your needs, you may choose to write a program that reads FITS files yourself: https://fits.gsfc.nasa.gov/fits_documentation.html

Remember that all files on your computer are text files of a sort, you just need to know what the format means to read it.

Have you checked you are running the right version of Python?  A lot of older code uses Python v2.x whereas the current version of Python is 3.x.  For a lot of astronomy scripts and programs they tend not to be compatible.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes. I actually used both. on 3 it didn't run, and on 2 it ran, but it wasn't doing it properly. I decided to do it the hard way and get the points manually from an interactive map they have.

Thanks to all for the help!

Archived