Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

3D Printed Camera Bracket

Mognet

Back in January I created a 3D Printed Camera Bracket for a Gorilla Pod Mount that was limited to a particular mount bracket and only one orientation. It wasn't too bad, but I thought it could be improved upon. So I've come up with the mk2 version, which dispenses with the need for a specific mount bracket and instead grips the lens, a bit like a tube ring, but can also be used with different sized lenses.

I've come up with this for the new version. The former yoga mat foam padding is there to both grip and protect the lens. I had to cut it to half the depth as it was just a little too thick.

20180603_140443.thumb.jpg.f1f271a8af4e7dd9e0405fd334e7871f.jpg

The whole thing is a six part print and breaks down like this

20180603_140642.thumb.jpg.b9ed95a75900ab6cde3e34c6f99937d1.jpg

It grips my camera and the heaviest lens with no problems, although in practice I'll probably wrap the strap around the mount so it doesn't hit the floor if it comes apart!

20180605_202847.thumb.jpg.3cf6230d46130277ee8f399a1671e339.jpg

All the files for generation and printing are attached in the zip file. I used the latest development snapshot of OpenSCad for creation. My lenses range in diameter from 60 to 75mm. If you want to print your own then change the variables tubeMinimumDiameter and tubeMaximumDiameter for your lens sizes, and maybe also be a little more generous with the diameters by 5 or 10 mm to allow for the foam padding. The stemLength variable can also be changed to cater for larger cameras.

I printed the dovetail/stem section and matching bolt with a 2mm wall and 25% infill to be strong enough, and the rest at the default 0.8mm wall with 10% infill for the V sections and their bolts.

The daytime testing I've done shows that there is some flexing around the base and bottom V. I might have to redesign that part so it becomes and all in one print. We shall see how it goes once in proper use.

Camera Bracket v2.0.zip

Thanks. I've got a clear night here so I'm going to give it a proper test

I have other astro print ideas in progress. One is a rework of the lens shield, and there maybe an EQ mount at some point too

Archived