Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Milky way with a Nikon D90?

Its not often I find myself a bargain, however last week I did just that. Managed to pick a pristine D90 up of ebay with a shutter count of a measly 5000 according to https://www.camerashuttercount.com/result/1e42c957-1380-43ff-9b46-9a3528db6e65, probably under that figure when I got my hands on it..very pleased indeed and all for £225 with a Tamron 18-200mm lens. Chuffed to bits.

So I notice we have clear sky's on Sunday night and would like to get a milky way shot.

My thinking is to image a handfull of 20-25s shots and stack? Taking a seperate exposure for the foreground, would this be a good idea to do it this way? Or is there a prefered way? I only have a regular static tripod atm for this.

Thanks, Paul.

On a static tripod that's fine..look up the 500 rule as at 18mm you maybe bordering on trailing..milky way is best at a dark sky without the moon.. or better still as the moons about to rise..gives it a silver veil shimmer..

6 minutes ago, newbie alert said:

On a static tripod that's fine..look up the 500 rule as at 18mm you maybe bordering on trailing..milky way is best at a dark sky without the moon.. or better still as the moons about to rise..gives it a silver veil shimmer..

Yeah, I have Cartes du Ciel open and the moon is is waning gibbous on Sunday.

Archived