NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

my new megrez 72FD

It's really really lovely. Only problem is - I can't actually see anything through it... nothing focuses. This might be a really really dumb question but I'm using it without a diagonal at the moment (diagonal is on its way) - I'm just sticking in an eyepiece and looking straight through (a la long john silver) - is there a reason why it won't focus without a diagonal? Also, I tried at first with a 32 mm eyepice, givin a mag of about 14 - is there a problem focussing at such a low mag? I tried it again with an 8mm eyepiece and same problem.

any help much appreciated

Dan

ps top service from FLO once again - delivered day after ordering :hello1:

A lot of refractors won't come to focus without a diagonal, I'm guessing the M72 is one of those. FWIW my WO Zenithstar 110 doesn't focus unless I have a diagonal and a 50mm extension tube!

Tony..

The 72 I have focuses OK with a 2" prism but with a 11/4 some eyepieces needed an extension tube. With this in mind straight through focusing would also need a tube (or maybe two) depending on the eyepiece.

A lot of these small quality refractors are like this so they can take a bino viewer which needs a long focus length - which reminds me that I will have to try my bino viewers on the 72.

thanks all. I guess I'll just have to look AT it rather than THROUGH it until my diagonal arrives. Lucky its so pretty :undecided:

btw, is there a rule of thumb as to what eyepieces might need an extension tube to focus, ie long ones or short ones?

thanks again

Dan

My Megrez 72 will come to focus with all my eyepieces (7.5mm through to 32mm) with either my 1 1/12"prism or my 2" WO Dielectric star diaganol without an extension tube, although it is almost racked out with the 32 mm. I have also find that I cannot achieve focus with my Samsung GX10 DSLR without the 1 1/2" prism and there is not enough inward travel with the 2" diagonal. Conversely, there is not enough outward travel if I try to focus with the DSLR attached directly to the end of the draw tube without any prism or diagonal!

Got to agree though, these little scopes are things of beauty!

Archived