NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Lyrids and the Core - East Devon

A set of shots taken Friday night and early Saturday morning, so a couple of days before the peak of the Lyrids.  I started the shoot at Budleigh Salterton, arriving at the mouth of the River Otter at around 12:30...

The Milky Way was visible running parallel over the sandstone cliffs.

008-JFBX8090---Budleigh-Salterton-Milky-Way.thumb.jpg.33865f377a04ff26dd180a24a8a9dafe.jpg

This was the view at around 2:00 starting to get part of the core...

JFBX8131.thumb.jpg.45be7b8a95da5a57c58d68a2caecbd7d.jpg

We then moved around to Orcombe Point, Exmouth. This is the stair case down to the beach and Orcombe Rocks

006-JFBX8136---Milky-Way-Core---Orcombe-Rocks---Exmouth-wide.thumb.jpg.e7f54f5455615873b2a2ee6b191e76f2.jpg

Finally moved up to the Geoneedle at Orcombe Point - managed to get a meteor photobomb - this was shooting on the 15-30mm Tamron f2.8 at  24mm

004-JFBX8179-Lyrid-Meteor-Orcombe-Point---GeoNeedle---Exmouth.thumb.jpg.6b5f2974f2af05779237f477c92e7803.jpg

This was the final shot which was picked up and used in The Telegraph,  a composite of 3 images. The Geoneedle marks the start of the Jurassic coast which runs from Exmouth to Old Harry Rocks near Swanage

Telegraph POTD 22 April 18.jpg

Lovely photos.  The second one looks stunning.  Well done on catching the meteors too.

You do need to be careful about advertising the south west to townie Torygraph readers though.  They think it's all smocks, village idiots, milking pigs and planting sheep.  If they find out the truth we'll be up to our necks in the blighters before you know it.  I suggest you do what I do and tell them that it's almost always overcast or raining, that you can't get off the M5 without being stuck behind some chap driving a horse-drawn cart and chewing a length of straw and that we're so backwards that even the Sun doesn't turn up until more than ten minutes after it arrives in London.

James

Unfortunately I do not have a lot of control of who picks them up. I tend to use an agency and they push the images to all the editors. Over the years I have had quite a lot of images in both The Times and Telegraph.  Always happy to post pictures of East Devon, possibly because I am across the water in Teignmouth :) 

i was going to go back to Ladram, but I got that a couple of years back on another really poor night. So this naff shot, totally spoilt by a friend firing his flash at the wrong time, I did swear at him before I finally looked at what I had on the screen...

image.thumb.jpeg.55745bf09598f8ac92ed66601a9b83f5.jpeg

3 hours ago, Rudy Pohl said:

What a lovely set of images John, great work! I live in Canada, but I've always loved seeing the Devon area in the many British TV shows and documentaries we've gotten here over the years.

Best regards,
Rudy

Thanks Rudy, feel the same way with Canada & the big open spaces & awesome clear skies

Archived