Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Recommend a Portable Scope

I found 2 problems using WiFi; at least with my Cosmos 90GT WiFi.

(1) My Samsung tablet kept reverting to the default connection with my home hub, and this could happen when auto slewing at maximum rate - as the mount does not come with a power switch, I added a normally-closed pushbutton switch in the mount's power lead, to kill power in a hurry.

(2) Whilst looking in the eyepiece, I found it difficult to locate the virtual up/down/left/right buttons on the tablet's touch screen - it is much easier to "feel" real buttons with the tips of your fingers.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, Geoff Lister said:

I found 2 problems using WiFi; at least with my Cosmos 90GT WiFi.

(1) My Samsung tablet kept reverting to the default connection with my home hub, and this could happen when auto slewing at maximum rate - as the mount does not come with a power switch, I added a normally-closed pushbutton switch in the mount's power lead, to kill power in a hurry.

(2) Whilst looking in the eyepiece, I found it difficult to locate the virtual up/down/left/right buttons on the tablet's touch screen - it is much easier to "feel" real buttons with the tips of your fingers.

Geoff, for (1) can you remove the Home Hub from your tablet's settings or turn the Hub off?

I completely agree about (2). No beating physical keyboards with 3D feel. 

12 hours ago, 25585 said:

Geoff, for (1) can you remove the Home Hub from your tablet's settings or turn the Hub off?

I considered both of these, but, the hub is used by other members of the household, with phones, tablets and PCs connected most of the time, including whilst I am out observing, and my home hub is the default network for my tablet to access.

Perhaps I will experiment a bit more, but as most of my OTAs fit on the (essentially interchangeable) Skymax & Skyprodigy mounts, with handsets, + the Virtuoso for tracking, + the AZ3 & Heritage 130 Dob. base for manual; I tend to use these instead of the WiFi.

Archived