Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Satellite crossing the Moon?

I was setting the scope up yesterday in daylight (just after 1800) and using the moon to align. To my amazement I saw what looked like a satellite crossing the disc. It was the right sort of speed and I'm sure it wasn't a plane - there was no evidence of a plane shape and I thought I saw a satellite sort of shape with solar panels. It was over in seconds and I didn't note the exact time. I was pretty sure  it must have been the ISS but on checking it was not around. On checking Sky Safari a likely candidate seems to be  a Globalstar satellite but not sure how big this would look( the moon was about 80% of the FOV). The time is about right (1810) and the speed looks right; it doesn't quite cross the disc but is a close graze. That could be a location error perhaps or just inaccuracies in the data?

Whatever it was it was an exciting and unexpected thing to see and I've never seen anything similar. 

• 4 weeks later...

You might want to use calsky for more exact data. Your location has to be spot on, as transits like that are often only visible in a small corridor. You'll probably find the right candidate if you search within the correct time frame.

moon and sun transits also have a seperate piece of the website, it might be handier to look it up there.

Archived