Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Random BSOD during Imaging SOLVED

MarsG76

Hello All,

I'm writing this post to share with you the "adventures" I had with a random Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) on a Windows Vista Laptop and might save some one some rage, disappointment and time is tracking down a similar issue.

When I repaired my modded Canon 40D USB port I started controlling sub exposures, storing the RAW subs and controling the scope via NexStar and ASCOM ST4 as opposed to the timer remote connected to the DSLR.

When I was using the Timer remote, I had no issues with the Laptop Guiding and teh DSLR exposing and storing the subs, my problems started when I moved the whole control to the laptop...

I connected the CGEM to NexRemote via a USB-Serail Adapter, set NexRemote with a virtual port COM number where I connected APT using the Celestron ASCOM driver.

PHD2 was connected to the guide port using GPUSB via ASCOM driver, two DMK cameras via USB (one as guide cam and the other as the sky cam) and finally the DSLR also via USB.

Everything started OK but at random times I got the BSOD, which of course meant that I lost my object, alignment and the DSLR hung, so had to be power cycled. This made the whole system unreliable, and the automated imaging, was no more automated since I had to keep an eye on the system. So much for imaging while at the gym or at work....

There were night where I had no crash, 1 crash, 3 crashed... totally random, at random times.

When disconnecting Nexremote and ASCOM the BSOD problem went away, but really didn't solve the issue, since this way I cant control the scope remotely via VNC.

Reinstalling/Updating drivers or reinstalling the OS didn't fix the issue either.

To cut to the chase, it looks like the Virtual Port on NexRemote and/or ASCOM Celestron driver connecting to the Virtual port is causing the crashes. When I removed NexRemote out of the chain and connected ASCOM Celestron driver (in APT) directly to the COM port where CGEM is connected, I haven't had a crash since (this is over 6 nights of imaging), and the driver displays a "keypad" where the scope can be controlled if need be.

Now the USB-Serial adapter I use is based on the Prolific 2300 chip, confirmed a genuine chip, but apparently some users had compatibility with this chip base adapter, so it might have been the cause of the BSOD which I have no way of checking without another brand USB-Serial adapter.

Hopefully this info will help out someone with similar issues and save someone some time, unlike me I wasted weeks chasing the source of the problem.

Clear skies y'all.

Archived