Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Finally tested the repaired camera - M13

Datalord

I finally had a clear night to mess with the repaired camera after 2 months of solid clouds. Since I haven't been able to mess around with actual pictures, I spent time reading about well depth and stuff, which lead me to the conclusion that I had been doing some things wrong. This wrong is about exposure length.

Previously, I did 300s subs. Last night I did 10s subs. Let's just say that the amount of data was.... substantial.

670 subs of 10s for a final integration of only 2 hours. But it was 40 GB of data to process. Good fun. Post processed the noise in StarTools, colours in PS.

M13@0,5x.jpg

I take it this was with the QHY247C. These CMOS cameras are quite amazing what they can pick up with short exposures, aren't they? Almost makes me wonder if I am wasting my time going through all the hassle of getting guiding sorted. Still, I suppose with NB and long FL it will be needed.

Great result.

Yes, it is the QHY.

I don't think it is the CMOS, tbh. The main reason why I thought this was the right way to go was the RASA. 11" f/2 makes it a lightbucket, which I think overwhelms the camera extremely fast. It really is a scope for nebula, so messing around with clusters and galaxies requires some tweaks.

Archived