NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Stick with CS3

davichi

Hi guy! 

i'm new member.

I am currently using PS CS3 as my main processing tool. But I am considering and upgrade to CS5. Thing is though I am in no way adept at using the version I have, but was thinking a higher version may offer better (and automated) tools for astro work.

IMO I would concentrate on getting more adept with your current version first.

Have you got a copy of Making Every Photon Count? That is a good way to start improving your processing skills. I haven't read this one, but would expect it to be as valuable when you reach that point.

Becoming adept at the basic skills on your current version will enable you to get the real benefit from any software upgrade. I suspect that a software upgrade without them, hoping that will compensate, will be a disappointment.

I would buy the book Dark Art or Magic Bullet, link in post above, read that several times as many Photoshop plugins work in CS and Painshop Pro. 

Or look at Doug's videos on budgetastro.net.

Then decide if you need to get a newer version. Automation comes from plugins or scripts which you might make.

Archived