ISS, Gemini, and Canis Minor! Oh my!

Took a long exposure of the ISS this evening. It took me about 30 minutes of setup to frame and focus it to get a 45 second exposure. It was almost ruined by the police shining a bright light in my face and right at my camera a few seconds before I started my exposure. I appreciate the police doing patrols in our neighborhood given all the car break-ins that have been happening lately, but it was frustrating as I was looking through my viewfinder waiting for the ISS to come into view. You can see Gemini as the ISS went right through the middle of it, Canis Minor is down and to the left of Gemini, and the head of Hydra is just to the left of the streak. I know it's not as exciting as some widefield images with nebula and all, but I just thought it was an interesting image and wanted to share. Canon T6i, 18-55mm EF-S @18mm, 45-second exposure, ISO 100.

IMG_0212.jpg

2 hours ago, Buzzard75 said:

I know it's not as exciting as some widefield images

Don't sell yourself short. Not only have you captured it, the shot clearly demonstrates how its brightness varies as the angles between the sun, it and us vary. Result!

Thanks for the kind words! Next time I might put the camera on my Skyguider Pro and do a composite image, one stationary image for the foreground and motion of the ISS and one tracking image to reduce star trails. That's new territory for me.

Archived