NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M101 - ED80 (Reworked)

brendant

Nice clear night in Glasgow last night, captured a couple of new targets but everything was soaking in the dew.

M101 imaged with unmodded Canon 400D + ED80 on EQ5 unguided. 1Hr-38 mins total comprising :-

1 @ 120 secs @ ISO800 = 2 mins

7 @ 180 secs @ ISO800 = 21 mins

25 @ 180 secs @ ISO1600 = 75 mins

Brendan

A good tight capture Brendan, good stars and fine focus.

It looks to me like you've pushed the black point up a little high in the processing, I'm sure there's a lot more faint detail in this image. :)

Cheers

Rob

Hi Brendan.

Were your subs black clipped?

Although you've brought the blackpoint up in the rework, the original information is isn't there.

What's the software you're using, and in what form are you saving the original data?

Cheers

Rob

Hi Rob,

The subs were stacked in Deep Sky Stacker and the post processing was in Photoshop CS2. I will have another go at processing from the start again and not be as aggressive getting rid of the LP. Have a long way to go in learning my processing skills, very difficult to get rid of the LP and not get left with horrible gradients etc..

Attached is a reduced copy of the output file from DSS, just reduced in size for posting.

Brendan

Hi Brendan, why not try in curves to leave just a touch more red in the image - there are always ways to remove any heat noise left- I've been having similar problems with my own 101 and its a real pain trying not to over process it yet bring out the detail isn't it.

Archived