Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Recommendations for Camera Lens for CCD

pubquiz

Hi All

I am thinking about trying some widefield photography so have been researching mounting a camera lens to my QHY163C OSC camera.

Even my shortest f/l scope wont fit in the whole of the Rosette Neb and would like to have a go at things like the Heart and Soul nebs in the same shot.

I posted in another thread re mounting etc and am now aware how critical the distance from mount to sensor is ...I will be wanting to use something like the orange Geoptik adapter.

What I want to ask is for recomendations of a lens to use.

I realise there are some very well suited and respected new lenses but these are totally out of my price range.

What I am after is an older lens ...any suitable make....round about 135 f/l or better 80 to 210 ish zoom if useable

I dont do SLR photograhy and this lens could be permanently mounted on the mount in the obs and would only be used for astro stuff.

Ideally I would just love to be able to attach the cam to it by the cams 2" nosepiece just like an eyepiece so making it easy to swap between scopes and camera lens....however I now realise this will be almost impossible as this would be 18mm for the QHY163 back focus/19mm for the Geoptik holder and 40mm for the 2" eyepiece socket making 77mm, when nearer 55mm is the usual measurement so will have to mount via the screw it all together method

There seems lots of lenses crop up online for under £50 but am not sure what to look for re all the autofocus connections etc which obviously wont be required.

So basically just a commonly available older resonable quality camera lens....any recomendations will be gratefully received and added to a list.

Tom

Takumar SMC's are the budget friendly lenses of choice, 200mm F4 or 135mm F3.5 or if one comes up at a reasonable price the F2.5.  They are M42 threaded, so you just either mash it into the M42 thread on your kit or buy a low profile M42x1 to M42x0.75 adapter.

This is what I've built in the cloudfest that is 2018 so far...  looks like I might get an opportunity to test it this evening for the first time.

IMG_0227.thumb.JPG.f4aad3c54aedad7a4d69051e3531ad03.JPG

Thanks for that John...wow that set up looks great...I like the motorised focuser :) is it a commecially available setup or do you have a 3d printer?

Will look out for takumar stuff and add to list if I get any more replies.

Tom

Archived