Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hyades widefield, first attempt

Finally managed to get my star adventurer up and running and got a camera on it. What has become immediately apparent is that I have no idea what I’m doing! But first attempt has been a lot of fun. Being a visual observer, I can set up a mount, and being a semi average photographer, I can set up a dslr. After that it all goes a bit wrong. Managed to get deep sky stacker to do.., something... but was left with an essentially white image. After some serious serious bar sliding in Lightroom, I managed to get something resembling what I took! Problem is I think it’s less interesting than the individual subs! Much play to be had, lots of fun! Btw I am aware that the moon pretty much ruined everything! I also captured in jpeg cos I lent my son the camera to take to school and forgot to change back d’oh!

Canon Eos M10 f2.2 pancake lens iso 800

lights 24x30

darks 20x30

dark one is DSS/ Lightroom and multicoloured one is a sub.

127BE664-A06B-4F0C-B283-CAFD32826EF2.jpeg

F39D88C5-6C0A-4B1F-9B8D-E9B10CDF0C2C.jpeg

20 minutes ago, Mr niall said:

Btw I am aware that the moon pretty much ruined everything! I also captured in jpeg cos I lent my son the camera to take to school and forgot to change back d’oh!

Hehe. Done that a few times.

Calibration really needs raw images, not jpeg, of course. But it seems that the darks removed the amp glow on the left (if that's what it is). Now that you have the data, follow some tutorials and experiment with dss. Then play some more in Lightroom. Try to get a neutral background, and variation in star colour. With the pancake, you should be able to get some nice widefield milkyway images. Once that part of the sky returns into view.

Have fun

I think I just got to the bottom of it - I’ve been using Lightroom on my iPad - the original TIFF is 32mb but no matter what I do my iPads squishes it down to 1mb - so that’s probably why my diligent curve manipulation ain’t doing nuffink but causing a headache!

Archived