Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Simbad output

Demonperformer

Does anyone understand Simbad Output options??

All I want is for it to display the object's data on my screen. I have pressed 'defaults', which sets the output format to 'html', which is what I want, [image1] and have pressed save (several times!). And yet, when I go to Identifier query and enter the object identifier and press submit, all it wants to do is download a text file onto my computer [image2]. I have tried coming out and going back in, but it still insists that it will only download a text file.

The 'help' files are anything but!

Why do they have to make it so stupidly complicated???

Does anyone have any idea on how to get it to actually produce the output that the output screen says it is going to produce??

:angry5:

Thanks.

Image1.jpg

Image2.jpg

This just gets stupider and stupider.

If I go in via 'basic query' it will now display the output on the screen.

Returning to Identifier query it still insists that it will only give me a text file! But if I put a different identifier in there (eg UGC 3852) it outputs it to the screen.

There appears to be no logic to this system at all!

Thanks for the response, Andrew.
I had been downloading text files for a large number of objects, but when I tried to revert the settings to their default to display a single object normally, it was insisting on giving me a text file. As shown on the screenprint the object in question was [CHM2007] LDC 475.
The only thing I can conclude is that there is something wrong with the "save" button, as the settings on the output page were as I wanted, but it was not doing what it said it was going to do (as in the screenprints: output format = html, but submit giving me a textfile to download).
However, I have now discovered a workaround: if I clear all the cookies in firefox the new criteria I set work with save, and it does what I am asking it to do (and what it is telling me it is going to do).
Bizarre!
Thanks.

Just as a point to note Simbad doesn't always have the most up to date information as it requires people to upload information onto it.  If you want to look at all the latest work it is better to use Vizier (or even TOPCAT) as that will pull up all uploaded catalogues for view.  Vizier is more comprehensive.  Not everything on Vizier is on Simbad!

Archived