Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Baader 12.5mm Microguide Eyepiece

Paz

I have always been more interested in knowing about and understanding what I'm looking at than the visual aesthetics of an image, and to this end I do a lot of reading about objects I'v looked at - how far away they are, how big, how fast they move, etc. I'm also interested in understanding how telescopes work.

I decided to get a Microguide eyepiece to be able to test and measure things for myself as I thought I would find doing this would help me to get more of an understanding of the equipment I'm using and the objects I'm looking at.

I have found it to be very enjoyable to use and have so far used it for the following...

Measuring double star separation and position angle, measuring the size of objects on the moon, testing the actual focal length of my telescopes, testing how the distance between a barlow and an eyepiece changes the effect of a barlow, and testing how the position of the primary mirror in a Maksutov Cassegrain affects the effective focal length of the scope. It makes it easier to align my eq mount if I can't see polaris, and it makes it easier to make sure my finders are set up dead-centre.

It's got an adjustable height top so you can line up the focus of the reticle with the focus on the target object, and an illuminating pot to light up the reticle when need be.

5a9c6c7dcf698_20180303_222007_HDR-1280x7201.thumb.jpg.b4600cf0272b5b27c22db43343f71427.jpg

The reticle is visible directly looking back through the eyepiece from the underside.

5a9c6c8f466bb_20180303_221918_HDR-1280x7201.thumb.jpg.c7c4e47001bbe11bca8416cdb707ef24.jpg

Looking though the eyepiece from the other end you see this (with the illuminator on).

5a9c6d5192fd5_20180303_221812_HDR-1280x7201.thumb.jpg.f7ff8263bbf0556dbcba00b570d3e77b.jpg

Looking at a target, in this case the moon, you see this (illumination off as not needed).

20180225_164035_HDR.thumb.jpg.b2f0733e03ddd36cea6982951e4598b9.jpg

I've also go the following activities on my hit list and I'm sure more will come to mind over time...

Measuring certain fast motion doubles over time to see their movement for myself, measuring high speed stars to see their movement for myself, being able to measure the distance to the moon for myself when I'm looking at it without looking it up, being able to measure the libration of the moon for myself without having to look it up, testing the focal length of my other scopes, and measuring various dso's and solar system things to help to better understand size, distance, and speed of objects.

Here's a really informative post previously posted.

https://stargazerslounge.com/blogs/entry/1293-measurement-of-doubles-and-a-jovian-moon-baader-micro-guide/

The eye relief is shorter than I'm used to as I prefer to use glasses but it is not too bad without glasses. The quality of the view itself is not as sharp as say an SLV or Delos but it is very good and to be fair you're looking through the reticle as well as the normal eyepiece elements.

I have used a 1.5x barlow with this to make this into an 8.3mm for higher magnifications with my f15 and f10 scopes, and I'm looking to get something higher power to get high magnificaitons with my f5 scopes.

I've already noticed I have a better idea of what I'm looking and the equipment I'm using. It makes observing interactive and hands on and I feel like my observing skills are taking a significant step forwards. It has also increased my levels of admiration for people who have measured double stars and submitted observations over time. It is not easy, but it is rewarding.

Archived