Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher Sky Max wifi for less abled observers

Hi

Our local university in collaboration with the Observatory (Mills Observatory, Dundee) are considering setting up a remote telescope for wheelchair bound and less abled folks to observe the sky using a remote telescope connected to a largish TV screen, but costs are extremely limited.  They are looking for a not too expensive telescope and mount set-up that can be carried out onto a balcony and will not have any cables trailing along the ground creating a problem for other people using normal telescopes on the balcony.

Access to the first floor balcony and the second floor dome are by stairs and building a ramp or lift is totally impossible.

My immediate thought for a solution was one of the Sky Max wifi mount and telescope combination which is not too expensive.  One question arising is the distance from the wifi control unit - probably a computer or tablet - to the mount which is something in the region of 30 to 40 metres or more. Is it possible to run cables from the ground floor to the first floor within the building to carry the signal to a relay of some kind or would the signal to and from the ground floor to the balcony be sufficient as it is?

I hope I have made this easy to understand and wonder if anyone has a suggestion on how such a set-up could be achieved.

Many thanks for listening.

Tony

No replies yet? Possibly because what you propose is not technically simple. You don't state a budget, but I will try to indicate what is involved. It is possible to have a remotely controlled GoTo telescope, but the range of the control is limited by either the length of a serial cable - a few metres, or the range of a WiFi connection -also limited. Beyond this, some kind of repeater involving wifi, or Ethernet cabling would be required.  In practice, remote control is not 100% reliable. :hmh:

Then there is the video connection. Relaying video from a telescope is not the same as looking through an eyepiece, as the sensors tend to be small. The signal range using a USB2 cable from the camera is a mere two metres before some sort of relay is required.  A suitable video camera will cost at least £200.

We did discuss this sort of thing at the astro club of which I am a member.  Some thought that watching on a screen would be more like watching a video than looking through the telescope eyepiece. We have discovered that young visitors are very keen to look through the main telescope eyepiece even when there is nothing to see!

Know with my home internet Wi-Fi network, have coverage with mobile over 100 metres from base station

Between floors should not be an issue with Wi-Fi, and no need to run cables

Celestron Nexstar  Evolution 8 comes equipped with Wi-Fi

There is also an APP for Celestron Wi-Fi called Sky Portal

Most smart TV's now equipped with Wi-Fi option

Our Samsung TV's at home are, even though also have Cat5 connection to home router 

Have fun with your protect

Last weekend, my club had a night out for people who are full time carers, through local Carers Association

Club put on a BBQ, and members had 8 scopes set up as well

Very rewarding imparting knowledge of the universe, and my own club also does programs for primary schools, as well as Space Badge for Scout/Guide movement

John

Read this forum post carefully, as it seems to be the kind of setup you have in mind:

If your 'costs are extremely limited' note that the camera alone in Noah's setup costs $1300 and the whole setup with 'scope, mount, camera, computers and monitor would probably leave little if any change out of £5000.

In your case you might consider having an operator on the balcony for the telescope and just a video link to ground level.

I envisaged a system where the less abled could suggest or ask for the telescope to be slewed at any time towards objects of their choice and that to be done remotely.  Now it seems the intention is to direct the scope to an object for a half hour then the operator to slew to another object for another half hour, then maybe a third or even back to the first object.  In that case there would be no use for a remote controlled set-up.  I that case they are looking at a two or three image slideshow which can be obtained by using stock images from NASA.  All they seem to want is a simple sideshow, what a waste of time, and an insult to those unfortunate souls they are pretending to want to help.

They have been offered via some-one on this forum a free 150mm telescope but have not even bothered with a response with thanks so at this point I will not bother making the effort.  They can sort it out without any more input from me.

Thank you all for replying and to the gentleman who offered the telescope. I am sorry that your time and mine has been wasted.

Again thanks all.

Archived