Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Solar Projection Advice

I would like to try solar projection and several people have quite rightly pointed out the dangers and issues such as melting eyepieces etc.

My question is, would a cheap refractor (e.g. the 70mm Skywatcher Mercury, for example) make a good solar projection scope? Also, does the f/ratio make any difference for solar projection?

I'm hoping I could piggyback a small refractor onto my reflector and save the cost of another mount/tripod.

All advice appreciated icon_biggrin.gif

To be honest....i have never tried EP projection....however with a 70mm OTA

i would expect there to be no problems what-so-ever with thermal heat....especially this time of year....i would suggest that the main problem with pure light observations at present is the distinct lack of activity IE no spots....but please do not let that stop you.

Brian

Both myself and my brother have done it with no issues.. Ive used both my old antares sentinal 80mm and my zs66sd.. with a variety of eyepieces form standard cheapish plossls through to expensive glass.. again no problems.

My brother has used a variety of scopes both refractor and reflector for the same thing.

I actually use my metal artists easel with an A3 drawing board fitted with a sheet of A3 catridge paper on it as a projection screen, hence I get a nice and large, easy to see image

I would suggest using the moon cap, if your scope has one, and not leaving the end of the lens open all the time. I use projection occasionally if the scope is outside, and I want to take a quick look at the sun. I just used a piece of white card and move it up and down to focus.

Archived