NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Is this poor collimation?

ste7e

Hi

While taking targeting IC434, I obviously over exposed Alnitak.  Not worried about that.  But the result does make me wonder if my collimation is out see the attached snippet. 

I've overstretched the image to bring out what I'm seeing as the problem.  Which is that the glare from the inside of the scope is offset from the image of the star.  Is that a collimation problem or is that just the natural offset of my scope.

I was using a SW 200PDS with an ASI1600MM.  The sample is from the OIII filter but the same thing is apparent through all filters.  And, I'm using a Baader MPCC MK3 coma corrector.

20180202_IC434_drz_OIII_collim.jpg

I'd say it's because Alnitak is not quite dead centre and the resulting offset in the reflection is amplified.... if you draw a line corner to corner you'll see the centre of the reflection is central to the frame and Alnitak is slightly off causing the whole thing to look wonky... I personally believe there's no other star in the sky that causes as many problems for imagers than alnitak!

Archived