First thing am and last thing afternoon sessions

Alan White

Wanting to test drive my Nagler 3-6 zoom and Meade 3000 5mm plossl and wanting to fit this around work demands today, well I did it and started at 5.30am.

Jupiter in my Evostar ED80 wonderful view, fairly good seeing for height from horizon, very visible bands and some detail, the 5mm plossl worked well, then I put in the Nagler zoom, 6mm and wow, 5mm and wow, 4mm and wow, blimey that’s good, dropped to 3mm and went ah, then oh, then blimey, that’s good as the stability settled. 

All Jovian moons in view, over the observing period I could see things had moved.

Really pleased all round and back in love with the ED80.

Home at 4, set up for a quick Session as I am now working.....oh yeah on SGL, oops.

Any way 6% Lunar, clearish Sky.  ED80 and Nagler, wonderful, more detail than I have seen to date with the ED80 pr even my ED100 I used to have. Zoom to 4mm but 3mm was too much a few times, but others it was stable and amazingly good.

So impressed that I then mounted my 150p and had a run with it for the higher mag and extra aperture. However the ED80 gave a better view tonight. Hmmm perhaps shows the 150p is better on DSO or not.......time will tell.

Well back to work, hope those observing tonight get a good night in, enjoy.

I should add to my post of yesterday.

The early morning Jupiter viewing was due to it being pointed out at my second visit to CPAC and set me thinking I needed to grab a session first thing when clear.

CPAC is Castle Point Astronomy Club, several members are here on SGL. Like it so much I am joining them.

Archived