Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mount suitable for 6" f8 Newt

osbourne one-nil

I need my hand holding in deciding on a mount for my 6" f8 Newt, which weighs about 6kg once kitted out. I don't intend doing astrophotography at the moment, so an EQ mount isn't essential, but I do want tracking and goto. The obvious choice would therefore seem to he an AZ EQ5, but having had one before, I'm a little wary as there was some free play in the altitude while in AZ mode which would only be exacerbated by holding a long tube (I think). I think an AZ EQ6 would just be too bulky and heavy. I am fine with an EQ mount for visual as I'd just create something to let me rotate the tube. 

What I'd really like, if money wasn't an issue, would be a Vixen SXD2, as there's something about Starbook10 that really appeals to me. More sensibly, I guess the Celestron AVX looks good, although the CGEM II's All Star Polar Alignment is appealing; I don't know if the AVX has that feature. Then there are, of course, the Skywatcher EQ mounts. 

Money isn't necessarily the limiting factor; longevity is and so is ease of alignment. I want a mount that will last and that could perhaps go up to a 10" Newt if I wanted. It doesn't have to be super portable as I am only about 20 mins from Castlerigg Stone Circle and that's one hell of an observing site that I can park within 50yds of. 

It's going to be an HEQ5 isn't it!

PS - I already have a Berlabach Uni 18 tripod so that might be relevant. 

Archived