Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Last nights efforts.

It was cold in Suffolk last night. The wind whipped across the patio and cut through clothing like it wasn't there.   Had it not been the first night where it was clear and viruses hadn't totally sapped the enthusiasm I'd have sat by the fire and stayed warm.  However, duty called and I was set up.  M33: 20x 180s at ISO 800, followed by M42: 10x 180s at ISO 400.  Then after a half-hearted attempt at M101 the camera battery expired and I gave up.  I then consumed far too much sloe gin in an attempt to warm up.   Results below.

As you can see, I've managed to make an entire galaxy vanish, which I think is pretty impressive.   i'm not sure quite what happened there.   Presumably after carefully framing it I nudged something.  A lesson learned of course, but I have to say it's quite a pleasing picture of a bunch of otherwise unremarkable stars.   

M42 is much nicer - i'm quite pleased with that - sufficiently so to plan a return to it in the future to do it more justice. 

Happy days,   SR

M33 simple x20 stack.jpg

M42 stack 20 bias as dark.jpg

According to astrometry.net, this is where you were pointing:

Center (RA, hms): 01h 33m 38.937s
Center (Dec, dms): +31° 47' 00.952"

According to wikipedia, the location for M33 is about one degree different in dec:

Right ascension 01h 33m 50.02s[1]
Declination +30° 39′ 36.7″[1]

Since your field is about 1.6 x 1 degree, you just missed it. But M42 is very nicely framed. :icon_biggrin:

7 hours ago, wimvb said:

According to astrometry.net, this is where you were pointing:

Center (RA, hms): 01h 33m 38.937s
Center (Dec, dms): +31° 47' 00.952"

According to wikipedia, the location for M33 is about one degree different in dec:

Right ascension 01h 33m 50.02s[1]
Declination +30° 39′ 36.7″[1]

Since your field is about 1.6 x 1 degree, you just missed it. But M42 is very nicely framed. :icon_biggrin:

Oh excellent - that's a useful resource.  Thanks, I wasn't aware of that site.    Hopefully I won't need it again in the same situation!

SR. 

Archived