NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Full moon & Sun position

Joe G

Hi all

I was just gazing at the full moon one night earlier this week and I got to wondering about it's exact timing. I'm assuming it occurs when it's full face is in direct line with the sun & would only be for a relatively short time due to various rotations. Would I be right to assume that the full moon would occur in the daytime,  at say noon when the sun is highest in the sky.  I have tried searching for the answer & would appreciate any feedback

Thanks in advance

Joe

The exact time varies apparently. Sometimes this occurs during the daytime, other times not, so I guess it depends on the combination of where the earth is in its orbit around the sun, in conjunction with the moons orbit too. The chart below states the times for full moon in 2018 as seen from London.

9C9C72BA-E2E0-4F1D-9361-07BBA8B2F596.thumb.jpeg.1177b486cba2d25d01e2a7493673597b.jpeg

Hi Gus

Thanks a lot for the timetable and the concise explanation. Just looking at the timetable, I'll was probably watching the full moon as it was happening & the sun was well over the horizon. I'm not going to overstudy it but am now going to keep a eye out for the next few phases over the dark nights ahead

Again thanks Joe

Archived