NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hahnel Captur Timer

Scooot

I have been bought a Hahnel Captur timer for Christmas but I’m struggling to get it do what I want. So either I’m being an idiot or it’s faulty.

To test it I want to take two 3 second images, simple enough I thought. So the canon 450D is in manual bulb mode, continuous shooting, A1 focus.

Delay set to 3, long set to 3, intvl1 set to 1, intvl1 N set to 2, intvl2 set to 1 second, intvl2 N set to 1.

With this configuration the camera takes one 7 second image. However, if I change the intvl1 N setting to 1 it will take one 3 second image.

Delay set to 3, long set to 3, intvl1 set to 1, intvl1 N set to 1, intvl2 set to 1 second, intvl2 N set to 2. It also takes a 7 second exposure. 

Anyone any ideas? Pleeease, it’s driving me nuts  

113965.pdf

113965.pdf

Sussed it. I increased the interval between shots from 1 second to 5 seconds and it works. Presumably the camera didn’t have enough time to process in 1 second. It’s only taken me a couple of hours ...... ?

12 minutes ago, Cornelius Varley said:

Have you switched noise reduction off ?

Good thinking, thanks for the thought. Long exposure noise reduction is off, high iso noise reduction is on but ISO is set to 400 so I wouldn’t have thought that would make a difference but I’ll try it to see. Can’t see any other noise reduction settings anywhere? Now I know, a 5 second interval will be ok when I use it. It was a bit frustrating trying to work out the problem. :) 

Edited by Scooot

1 hour ago, Cornelius Varley said:

Have you switched noise reduction off ?

An update for info. No difference with the high iso noise reduction off. I can successfully reduce the interval to 4 seconds, but 3 seconds is too short. Thanks again for your input. Happy New Year :) 

• 3 years later...

I have one of these and it’s not your camera it’s the Hahnel captur timer module. I also have a hahnel giga t-pro and with same settings it works. Bottom line the captur timer module requires  interval 1  to be set to 4 or more seconds for it to work as above. Obviously a bug. Wish I had bought a different make. I have raised the issue with hahnel and await a reply.

3 minutes ago, Albut said:

I have one of these and it’s not your camera it’s the Hahnel captur timer module. I also have a hahnel giga t-pro and with same settings it works. Bottom line the captur timer module requires  interval 1  to be set to 4 or more seconds for it to work as above. Obviously a bug. Wish I had bought a different make. I have raised the issue with hahnel and await a reply.

I have used it quite a bit since but I’ve never found the settings that intuitive. Occasionally it would repeat the imaging run when I didn’t want it to, quite probably down to me but a bit annoying all the same. I’m using an Asiair now. 

It’s the handheld remote on this model. Bit annoying as having to increase interval by 2 sec amounts to another 16 minutes for a 500 photo session. I’ll report back if I get a response from hahnel. As I said I have an older hahnel giga-t pro and that works fine even down to 1 second. So clearly a problem with their new units. Looking at getting the asiair guider kit as Peter Zelinka video. Is it a good bit of kit?

2 hours ago, Albut said:

Looking at getting the asiair guider kit as Peter Zelinka video. Is it a good bit of kit?

I like it, but I have no experience of guiding with anything else. I like the Asiair a lot, it’s very handy being able to use it as a power hub as well, providing you have enough amps from your power source of course. Plate solving is great to ascertain where you’re pointing if you’re not using a goto mount. I haven’t tried live stacking yet but I will do now I have a cooled Astro camera.

Edited by Scooot

• 2 months later...
On 22/01/2021 at 22:51, Albut said:

agreed, but I also think my Canon 2ooD could be part of the problem.

I've tried with the following settings:

With the camera in Manual Mode and shutter set at bulb.
I'd set it up to take 77x   2-sec shots - at 1sec intervals.

Hahnel Captur (wireless) settings:
DELAY: 00:00'00"
LONG: 00:00'02"
INTVL 00:00'03"
INTVL1 N 77
INTVL2: 00:00'01"     <<< i cannot remove this setting, even removing batteries the value returns when powered up
INTVL2 N:

I don't think the camera can process the images at that rate, the reason I feel this is that a wired intervalometer I also use (with identical settings) also produced the same outcome:

Basic Cable Intervalometer settings:
INTVL: 00:00'03"
N 77

In both cases the results are 2 single shots - and not the 77 as input. what am I doing wrong? or, is there some 200D setting i need to change?
Camera is NOT in Drive Mode.

Edited by brenski

On 25/03/2021 at 15:53, brenski said:

agreed, but I also think my Canon 2ooD could be part of the problem.

I've tried with the following settings:

With the camera in Manual Mode and shutter set at bulb.
I'd set it up to take 77x   2-sec shots - at 1sec intervals.

Hahnel Captur (wireless) settings:
INTVL 00:00'03"
INTVL1 N 77
INTVL2: 00:00'01"     <<< i cannot remove this setting, even removing batteries the value returns when powered up
INTVL2 N:

I don't think the camera can process the images at that rate, the reason I feel this is that a wired intervalometer I also use (with identical settings) also produced the same outcome:

Basic Cable Intervalometer settings:
INTVL: 00:00'03"
N 77

In both cases the results are 2 single shots - and not the 77 as input. what am I doing wrong? or, is there some 200D setting i need to change?
Camera is NOT in Drive Mode.

Hi, try increasing interval 1 to more than 4 seconds as per @albut s post. I’d also turn of any automatic noise reduction If you have it on.