Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

180 mm Mak or 8 inch SCT EDGE

20 hours ago, Luna-tic said:

I'd go for the Edge over the Mak. You may not think you'll use it for AP, but if you're imaging with the frac, eventually you'll want to try the SCT, and it will open up more possibilities. The reducer for the Edge is .7,  and is specific for each size of Edge (also much more expensive than the .63 for standard SCT's).  I don't know how fast your ED80 is, f/6?, but having both a widefield and narrower field scope to image with is a grand slam, IMO. Plus, if you go completely AP bonkers, you can go the Hyperstar route and image at f/2 with the Edge. Whatever you give up in increased contrast with the Mak, you'll get back in greater versatility with the Edge.

I started with a C6, added the .63 reducer, then added the Edge HD 8", then got the .7 reducer. I still wanted something extra wide-field, so I just recently got an 80 APO at f/5.9, with a reducer that takes it to f/4.7. That's pretty much a full spectrum of possible field sizes and exposures. You won't regret the Edge.

Thanks for the interesting comments. I will give them due consideration. My only concern is that I'm not convinced the edge would outgun the Mak on planets and double stars, the latter of  which I am interested in getting into more. From what I have seen of the 80 mm ed ( I have the ed skywatcher evostar) I imagine my astrophotography interest will be satisfied for some time. And I know I am finicky about contrast and sharpness.

Cheers

Mark

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived