NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Framing Target,Atik 314 mono and APT

Craig123

Hi eveyone

I am pretty new to imaging with a ccd but enjoying the challenges.The main stumbling block for me at the moment  is framing an object the same way as a previous session.I tried to get some ha on M101 but spent ages trying to get the camera to line up with a previous  image on my desktop.As my reducer and Atik 314 l+ is screwed on to the focusing tube i found it diffiicult trying to twist the camera round with leads hanging down,worrying it was all going to come off in the dark  and often the power was lost to camera (i think a new lead required too) meaning i had to re load Armetis over again.Some folks have mentioned Astro photography tool and astro tortilla which i have downloaded but not used yet as a means of plate solving but after it has centred target  i would still then have to start twisting camera around to frame it as before or am i missing something?...does the software do it all ?? It was a frustrating night for sure (the next night i tried the flaming star from a fresh and all seemed good again without having to align ) so for now its this one aspect making it particularly tricky at the moment, any ideas please on framing, software and physical attachment of reducer , filter and camera for ease of use much appreciated.

Thanks

Craig

Sounds like APT would benefit you https://www.ideiki.com/astro/ If you put the camera into focuser the same way, maybe line with two marks ,Apt can save the setting for a target once you have lined it up using platesolving it has a store button ,so next time you go out hit same target it goes to same coordinates, have a look on APT forum loads of info on there . http://aptforum.com/phpbb/index.php

The golden rule is a simple one. Orientate your camera along RA and Dec unless you absolutely have to set it at an angle to fit the target on the chip. If the camera is square to RA and Dec, whether in landscape or portrait, you can reframe dead easily by looking at stars around the edge of the field and matching them with the earlier image.

Now, how do you orientate your camera along RA and Dec? Ludicrously simple: do it by eye first of all, using the Atik sticker which is aligned with the chip. Sight it against the dovetail or the counterweight bar. Now take a 5 sec image while slewing slowly. This will produce star trails at your camera's present angle. Rotate and reshoot till they are vertical or horizontal. Do a final check by putting a star on the horizontal reticle line and then slewing so it's on the line at the opposite side.

Olly

What I've done for my dslr is fix a hotshoe dual axis bubble level and I can always fix it inside the focuser at either 90° or 0°. You can do the same for your ccd, get 2 single axis bubble levels and when you find the 0° stick one on the ccd for the this position and stick the second one for the 90° position.

3 hours ago, bottletopburly said:

Sounds like APT would benefit you https://www.ideiki.com/astro/ If you put the camera into focuser the same way, maybe line with two marks ,Apt can save the setting for a target once you have lined it up using platesolving it has a store button ,so next time you go out hit same target it goes to same coordinates, have a look on APT forum loads of info on there . http://aptforum.com/phpbb/index.php

Thanks ...iam definitely going to try APT next time.I loaded it up this morning and was pretty impressed by the look of it.The forum link is also useful.Much appreciated.

1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

The golden rule is a simple one. Orientate your camera along RA and Dec unless you absolutely have to set it at an angle to fit the target on the chip. If the camera is square to RA and Dec, whether in landscape or portrait, you can reframe dead easily by looking at stars around the edge of the field and matching them with the earlier image.

Now, how do you orientate your camera along RA and Dec? Ludicrously simple: do it by eye first of all, using the Atik sticker which is aligned with the chip. Sight it against the dovetail or the counterweight bar. Now take a 5 sec image while slewing slowly. This will produce star trails at your camera's present angle. Rotate and reshoot till they are vertical or horizontal. Do a final check by putting a star on the horizontal reticle line and then slewing so it's on the line at the opposite side.

Olly

Thanks Olly..i had started going round in circles looking for ever more complicated answers/software but the solution is in fact really simple.Something for me to remember to think about next time I get bogged down.Thanks for keeping me right on this one..now I'm looking forward to the next session again.Cheers

1 hour ago, emyliano2000 said:

What I've done for my dslr is fix a hotshoe dual axis bubble level and I can always fix it inside the focuser at either 90° or 0°. You can do the same for your ccd, get 2 single axis bubble levels and when you find the 0° stick one on the ccd for the this position and stick the second one for the 90° position.

Thanks..that is a good idea.Will have a look for one .

Craig 

Archived