Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Eyepiece for a 105/650 lens?

Hi!

I have looked through a telescope only a handful of times, using the dark hours exclusively to image. The scope back then was a SW120ED and the eyepieces cheap ones.

Now I'm breaking up my imaging rig which leaves me with one or two APM LSOZ 105/650 to use for visual work.

The questions that pop up are:

- Is there a great difference looking through one scope vs looking through some kind of bino setup?

- For the scopes above, what eyepiece could you recommend for Moon and which one for DSOs? I have no budget for a nice collection...

I literally know nothing in this field of the hobby.

/Jesper

PS Perhaps better suited in the 'Getting started with observing'. Total newbie here...

15 minutes ago, Jessun said:

PS Perhaps better suited in the 'Getting started with observing'. Total newbie here...

I agree so I have moved your post to the "Getting Started Equipment Help and Advice" section but left a link to it in it's original place :smiley:

I own the LZOS 105/650 and am a huge fan as a visual travel scope.  I love the 10mm Delos in it. That gives a 65x mag and 1.1 deg field which is nice mid power EP, good for framing some of the larger DSOs like the Double Cluster, and just as a general use EP.  For much wider field if you wanted that, the 21mm Ethos is great (but very expensive) giving 31x and 3.2 deg field.  More modest is the 24mm Panoptic at 27x and 2.4 deg.  For Planetary/Lunar observing I will often use a 4.5mm Delos but this only gives 144x.  I have found myself more recently using my Nagler 3-6mm Zoom which gives 108-216x and allows rapid changes in magnification when a moment of atmospheric tranquility allows for boosting the power. 

All of these recommendations are Tele Vue and not cheap but then neither is an LZOS made lens.  However, there are plenty of more modestly priced EPs that will do a decent job in the scope.

I have a 14mm Delos and it is superb, both in the C8 and the APM 80mm F/6 (not LZOS, alas, but a good triplet nonetheless). In the latter scope my favourite EPs must be the 31 T5 and 22 T4 Naglers. These are awesome wide-field EPs. For planets I find my Pentax XW 5 (or the mich more modestly priced Vixen SLV 5mm) give me the best views.

I have an APM / LZOS 130 F/9.2 triplet - fantastic scope !

I'm another who uses the Delos and Pentax XW eyepieces in my refractors and have been really impressed with them. For wider views in the 1.25" fitting I use a Panoptic 24mm, another superb eyepiece.

Archived