NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Possibly Habitable-Exoplanets in Stellarium

Dave In Vermont

I just noticed that Stellarium can show exoplanets found within the "Goldilocks-Zone" of stars that have been deemed 'habitable' by the 'powers-that-be' - or the SETI-Project. So I have mine set to show these particular exoplanets marked in green on the screen. Look on the lower-left on this screenshot below the description of K2-18 -

stellarium-796.thumb.png.3ca5a24e17f061fa82cada57aee12c76.png

And just by luck, I found the latest possibly habitable-exoplanet just discovered - Ross 128 - which I found in 'Stella' a day before it was all over the astro-news feeds I read. So here's Ross 128, as well as another nearby one as well. Ross 128 also has the distinction of being quite close to us. Only 11.03 LY's distant:

stellarium-804.thumb.png.dc8484d3390c410e9a022d7c9bc6bc97.png

And this article just popped-up in my Sky & Telescope newsfeed:

Invite Ross 128 Over This Thanksgiving - Sky&Telescope.pdf

Stellarium certainly updates fast & thoroughly!

Enjoy -

Dave

I don't know how you manage Dave? your instructions were  more than helpful.
Here's my level of detail.......lol!
I think the conversion process from .png to .jpg has made the Stars even more invisible in this screen shot, but  clearly visible in my version of Stellarium (super enlarge may show Ursa Major ).

Screen Shot 2017-11-25 at 16.23.48.jpg

Hmmm.....You could try swapping the screenshots from .png to .jpeg, or similar.

I use XnConvert. It works quite well and is freeware:

http://download.cnet.com/XnConvert/3000-12511_4-75440010.html

Also set your background to black, or night at all times. And turn-off the setting to compensate for light-pollution in your area. Or tell it you're in North Korea! :p

Have fun -

Dave

Archived