NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Camera that plugs into a monitor or mobile phone

Just for visual at present, is there a focuser camera that will cable, WiFi or blu tooth to a portable screen device effectively turning a scope into a TV camera in the same way as screen on a digital camera does. 

I am thinking of a tablet as the monitor so it could take a snapshot if wanted, but mainly as an optical eye piece substitute. 

A camera that gives HD so that an image can be magnified (touch screen) without losing detail. 

Webcam to a laptop or notebook is commonmly used. You just need to determine the correct spacing so that you can swap from eyepiece to webcam without having to refocus much. Helps if the webcam sensor is of reasonable size, and that increases the cost.

Seen it used for public presentations where the webcam image is displayed on a laptop then this output is fed to projectors.

Usually classed a EAA, Electronically Assisted Astronomy.

Problem with a tablet or phone is that they are may well not have the software and are not set up for such. And if they are then you could find that you need a specific almost custom item. I suppose also  alaptop or notebook will power the camera via USB and phones are not really big enough to power themselves and a camera for any period of time.

Have a look at some of the action cams also.

The approach that I'd take for this is to use use a laptop and astro camera setup.  You can then have run something like sharpcap to display the images and update regularly.  (even longer exposures)

For power, the simple solution is to run the laptop from 12v which can be plugged into a power bank, lesuire battery, etc.

The advantage of this setup as others already said is that you can run a projector.

also if you want to get really complicated, there's nothing stopping you from connecting the laptop to a network and having another computer remote control (I use remote desktop for this).    This would mean you could have the telescope setup outside, and give a presentation inside where it's warmer.     Lots of flexibility, but also increases the complexity too.

Archived