mounts and scopes

Hi Alex,

I'd have to agree with Tony here - the EQ1 is only suitable for the smallest of scopes.

I've used a 100ED on an EQ3-2 mount with the tubular steel legs upgrade and that was fine for visual use.

Personally I have my current Vixen ED102 on an alt-azimuth mount (a Vixen Portamount) which is so simple and portable to use :smiley:

John

• 2 weeks later...

EQ3-2 should be fine for visual, but EQ5 would be better, especially if you want to do any photography. Both mounts are managable size wise and can both be upgraded to GOTO if that's something you are interested in. I just checked the C100 ED and it is usually bundled with a CG5 which is the celestron version of the EQ5.

Regards

Richard

Ok I been looking at this: http://www.telescopeplanet.co.uk/ViewProdDetails.asp?name=Celestron%20NexStar%20102%20SLT%20Telescope%20Package&prod_code=PON06A000004

And it looks pretty awesome. Can someone tell me why something like this: http://www.telescopeplanet.co.uk/ViewProdDetails.asp?name=Celestron%20C80%20ED-R%20Refractor%20Telescope&prod_code=PON06G000033

why is it more money? The apparture is smaller so why the higher price? Is it just the quality of the mount?

Also the first scope is goto which is always nice for a beginer. I currently have a 4.5" reflector. The exact one is in my sig. I am after a scope that I can be really happy with for the next few years. I know the "seeing" is poor at the moment, but I am struggling to get good views of something relatively simple like jupiter (i get no detail). Id like a scope that I could pick up, look around and get some stunning images through the eyepiece and with imaging (i have a toucam).

Sorry for the ramble!

Alex

There's two big differences between the two packages here.

The SLT is a basic GOTO mount with an apochromatic refractor. Fine for visual but on brighter objects you will see some colour fringing on brighter objects like the Moon.

The C80 has a CG5 mount which is essentially Celestron's version of the EQ5 and the scope itself is an apochromat scope, optically identical to Skywatcher's ED80 which is a fine visual and imaging scope.

Tony..

It's for both the scope and the mount. Apochromats use exotic glass and are generally more expensive to make than achromats meanwhile the SLT mount, even with GOTO is nowhere near as flexible as the CG5. It depends on what you want really. If you want something quick and easy to look though, then the SLT may well be the one for you. If you want something that could take you into the world of imaging, then the C80 setup would be a better choice although you'd need to at least buy motors for the mount, perhaps even a GOTO upgrade.

The best thing for you to do is have a good think about what you want to look at, then look at your budget. Have a look around and if you can, try and get down to your local astro society and see other people's scopes. But of course, ask all the questions you want here. the only stupid question is the one you don't ask :).

Tony..

They are complately different.

The first is an ACHROMAT on an ALT AZ mount.

The second is an APOCHROMAT on a EQ style mount.

The mount in the second (ED) scope is much more sturdy and suitable for astrophotography than the first, and the scope itself is much nicer.

Ant

Ok it seems I have gotten rather confused :)

The one I first posted was one on the for sale bit of the website, not necessarily the one i wanted.

Basically I want a decent refractor that will give me great views of the planets, as well as messier images etc. I have a toucam and as such will want to do some imagining. I would LIKE the option to do some proper slr imaging at some point (when I can afford the camera :D ), so it sounds like im going to want a good EQ5? mount. I LOVE the idea of GoTo as well.

So.. once again after rambling on, I get to the crux of the question, reccomend me a refractor that meets my needs. I dont want to be dreaming of a new scope for a while. I will need to save up a bit each month for this, so keep the prices realistic, though i wont put a limit on it.

Thanks

Alex

<deep breath> Refractors probably moreso than any other scope design, you can pretty much pay what you want!

Personally, if you are after a refractor that's a bit of an all rounder that can serve as an intoduction into imaging, then the C100 you originally posted about would be a good one, or other 4"/100mm Apochromats like the Skywatcher ED100. Downside is that if you have aspirations for imaging, you'll need at least an EQ5 mount or more. I'd go for a HEQ5 myself. Not a cheap setup by any means but it'll certainly do the jobs you want it for.

Have you thought about a reflector instead if your budget is a bit tight?

Tony..

i like the refractor idea for a few reasons. I love the idea of sharp crisp images. I love the idea of grab and go, no colimation, no cool down time. If possible link me something with a Heq5 mount and a refractor, a package for example? Even if its pricey, I will be saving up, so its something to aim at you know?

I completely understand what you're saying, I have a 110mm refractor for imaging and a 100mm one for observing while I'm imaging :).

Anyway, here's a ED100: http://www.firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=pro100ed2ota .

HEQ5: http://www.firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=heq5 .

Or if you prefer GOTO: http://www.firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=proheq5 .

I think nearer the time, you can phone up for a package deal which may well say you a few quid. But don't forget to budget for eyepieces and other bits and bobs.

Tony..

Archived