NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

1st attempt at Andromeda this season

AstroJOE

Took advantage of the clear skies this week and decided to have a go at Andromeda. It's far from perfect BUT a big improvement on my attempts at the same target this time last year.

Modded Canon 1100d with a Skywatcher Equinox 80, piggybacked on a CPC1100 for mount.

600s x 15, 60s x 15, 30s x 15, 10s x 15 + darks, bias and flats, stacked in DSS and then processes in Pixinsight 

5a11ab158be09_Andromeda-Nov18th2017.thumb.jpg.fa8c6ab6d2cab80981fc2b950ad7da77.jpg

Constructive criticism/friendly advance welcome !

James

1 hour ago, alan potts said:

James, nice image in my view, can I ask how you avoid field rotation on a CPC, as this is a AlAz mount, isn't it. I tried some shots through my LX200 12 inch but they were far from good at 30 seconds.

Alan

Hi Alan, the CPC is mounted on a Heavy Duty Wedge which allows we to take much longer exposures for DSO's. I polar align using the drift method and I can easily achieve 600second exposures (as was the case with the image above). I haven't tested any exposures longer than that but I'm sure I could push it further if I tried. I have the scope fairly well balanced and its permanently set up in the obsy out the back (which helps). I then image through the SW Equinox 80 ED PRO which is piggybacked on top of the CPC1100. I also then use an Orion mini-guider piggybacked on top of the Equinox.  

To be honest I only tend to use the CPC1100 for visual as well as the occasion planetary or lunar imagine when the moon is out.

I may invest in an EQ mount for the Equinox one day as the system I currently have does have limitations for DSO imaging, however I'm pretty happy with the results at the moment so I'm in no rush to change it.

Hope this helps

James 

Archived