Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Observing last night around Pegasus

Sam

I set the 8" up to image M2 last night after viewing it for the first time. The image turned out really well, a very nice globular to look at to. With the 16" I decided to have a look at the galaxies on the left side of the square of Pegasus. The first of the list was NGC 16 which is small and faint with no structure visible, though it was quite easy to see, I star hopped from the corner of the square. The next one down from there was NGC 23, again quite hard to see, but there was a faint 13.5 mag star right next to it which helped to find it, it did have a slightly irregular shape to it - after checking on the web it's barred spiral which explains the funny shape. further down the square towards the lower right corner is NGC 7817 which appeared longish and uniform in brightness across - must be an edge on. NGC 7814 was the next galaxy heading up into the square which was a lot brighter.

I then turned the 16" towards the moon and had a good look. The big scope certainly brings out the details :shock: :shock: - though very very bright. Another great night of observing and neat to see some new objects. Might have to use a moon filter next time. :smiley:

Sam

Sam great report.

You must have much better skies then me as I tried looking for a few of these objects about 2 weeks ago couldn't find them with my 16".

I found NGC 1 and maybe NGC 22.

The rest down that side eluded me.

certainly blinded in one eye!

I know the feeling :blackeye:

Yep, I got that last night! Incredible!

You're going for the tricky ones there, LB!

With my 16" I will be cycling my old favourites to see them in a new light, but before long I will have to start some "serious" observing!

Andrew

Sam great report.

You must have much better skies then me as I tried looking for a few of these objects about 2 weeks ago couldn't find them with my 16".

I found NGC 1 and maybe NGC 22.

The rest down that side eluded me.

My skies are quite good to the East and South which certainly helps in getting the fuzzies.

Archived