Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Oh what a night...

Vega

My first proper obsy report this year!

Well what can I say just a brilliant day/night. Having taken advantage of the cloud free day to take loads of flats, I started to set up for the evening. Cloudless, wind free and great seeing, what more could I ask for. I set up the 400D / 70-300mm lens (first ever astro use) on the EQ3 mount for my first ever go at the Veil. Its also first light for my CLS clip filter (excluding the flats taken earlier) so an awful lot of new territory being dablled with! about 20 minutes spent on zoom and focusing then it was snapping away. Meantime, I headed for the main scope (250px). My first target was Epsilon Lryea (double double), I couldn't believe it, they were both EASILY split at 200x. The best I've ever seen, I knew this meant that conditions were good. The ring was a great sight as always when near the zenith. Likewise the Dumbbell Neb. After dropping in the OIII filter the Dumbbell just came alive. I also checked out some globs, namely M13, M92 and M15 which are always great in a large newt. The latter of the three always being a pleasant surprise at very high mags. I next did a round of double stars. Albireo (of course), 61 Cygni, Gamma Delphini and Eta Casoppeia. I also came across another very wide double 31 Cygni. Later in the observing session I remembered a post on here recently about viewing the Veil with an OIII filter so i gave it a go with the 25mm EP. I was jumping for joy... normally it is simply invisible with only the bright star showing. The OIII really did bring out the faint ribbon of the complex. Not much detail but the obvious shape was there. Fantastic! It wasn't all 'joy to the world' as a few targets I couldn't see due to the fence/hawthorn blocking 20deg of my Southern sky :D . So the Saturn Neb, Wild Duck, and Eagle neb were all failed views :crybaby: .

While I type my darks are snapping away outside almost finished. I have a total of 60x120 subs of the Veil Neb along with my newly aquired flats. I just cant wait to process these. I really should wait until the morning but my patience power is weak :D . I just hope I can bring some detail out with an unmodded SLR.

All in all a much needed fantastic time, I knew September might save the summer.

:(

Matt

I'm so happy for you, Matt! :smiley:

Clear AND steady skies.. it just doesn't get any better than that. :thumbright:

How's your light pollution? You mentioned that the Veil is usually invisible except for the bright star (52 Cygni?). Out here in the country, I can always see both of the Veil's outer regions (6960/6992) without using the O-III, although the view is much better with it (portions of the nebulosity have appeared to shimmer in the eyepiece.. absolutely mesmerizing).

Here's hoping you'll get a lot of clear nights soon.. you certainly deserve them after having to wait so long. :bino2:

Some fantastic reports coming out over the last few days - loving it. KEEP IT UP!! :hello1:

Well done for getting the veil. It's incredible what the OIII filter does, isn't it? In my 16" there was nothing visible without the filter, even in the brightest portion, and when I knew where to look. With the filter, it was bright and unmistakable with direct vision!

I'm glad the recent clear skies has reignited this forum into the happy place it once was :smiley:

Andrew

Thanks Talithia / Andrew

I do have light pollution as my house backs on to a main road. There's a total of 4 street lights affecting the back garden in the winter. However during the summer months the hawthorn and 'in leaf' trees manage to block them all out (directly) :smiley: . I am on the edge of town where my Western sky is LP free, but my Eastern sky is dreadful. I am very dependent on how clean the sky is.

Having reviewed all my data, I managed 37x120 sec exposures of the Veil. Stretching the image to the full only brings out a hint of the Eastern Veil :shock: . Looks like I need longer subs, which is almost impossible without guiding.

Matt

Archived