NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Whats the Difference Between the Skywatcher Explorer 150P/150PL

Hi

Im interested in buying a Skywatcher Explorer 6" Newtonian Tube assembly only as I can switch over my 1st scope (Skymax 127 w/ EQ3-2 which im very happy with) using the existing mount I already have. Apart from the Focal Length & the dimensions of the telescope tube is there much difference between them ?

I want to use the scope for Lunar/Planetry, little deep sky & webcam work, I've never had a newtonian before, as I read more about them, they are suited for more serious observing & collimating is pretty much straight forward with these scopes.

Your advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Hi Deneb just noticed you have a 127mak that will do fine for your lunar planetary imaging and i feel the 150pl will not offer any advantage to you, ive been playing about

with my xlt150 and a web cam and i found the need to keep standing up to focus a pain

whilst trying to keep an eye on the laptop.

Mick

Hi Deneb just noticed you have a 127mak that will do fine for your lunar planetary imaging and i feel the 150pl will not offer any advantage to you, ive been playing about

with my xlt150 and a web cam and i found the need to keep standing up to focus a pain

whilst trying to keep an eye on the laptop.

Mick

[/quote

I agree with Mick, you will not notice much difference in performance between your 127mm Mak and a 150mm Newt as the aperture difference is quite small. The long tube of the 150PL will also not be as stable on the EQ3-2 mount.

You probably need to consider a step up in aperture to at least 200mm to get a really noticable difference TBH.

John

Archived