SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Having Problems: Starlight Xpress 674

Peje

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All of my kit, bar the SX 674 & filter wheel, have individual USB leads running back to the PC. I have a spare USB lead in my loom for the filter wheel so I may use that in future but for now I will only change one thing at a time.

My tests last night ran for 14 hours with no failures so for now I am going to assume the length of USB leads are not the issue. Terry gave me a new suggestion for something to try:

It might not be the power supply that is inadequate – it might actually be the common mode ground currents that your mount introduces into the USB cable shield. Ground currents can be a big problem when you have several devices on one power supply. Noise signals from the mount motors etc. can use the USB cable as a convenient path and induce noise into the USB interface. As a check, can you run the camera or mount from a separate supply?

This is my next test, the only issue is that I believe this test will require the mount to be guiding, rather than tracking, so that current spikes are generated by direction changes. I hate debugging problems under a clear sky :(

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: After plenty of support from Starlight Xpress this looks to be caused by powering the CCD & mount off a single DC PSU. The mount motors seem to have been putting noise into the grounds which cause communication issues for the camera over USB.

I powered the camera last night using a seperate PSU and it ran for 13 hours without error while capturing lots of data for me :)

Now for the joy of figuring out how one processes narrowband data.... first world problems!

Thanks everyone for your input.

• 3 weeks later...

So the problem is back, no kit or cabling changes from when it ran for 12 hours last Thursday with zero issues.

Typically conditions are great tonight, I think I'm left with no other option but to call it quits and move to a different camera. :(

Archived