Southern Milky Way

Whilst on holiday in Chile last week, I just managed this southern Milky Way before it dipped behind the foliage of my hotel at San Pedro de Atacama.

Canon 5D3, 24-105 F4, wide open in both ways, 9 x 120s iso3200, mounted on a Star Adventurer.

PA proved to be even more difficult than I'd imagined, at 22 degrees South, no obvious pointer stars were visible, and sharpcap could not do anything, even in the clear Atacama air, as the LP from the town was due south of the hotel, so PA was guessed with the compass and inclinometer on my iPhone.

smw1.thumb.jpg.56e960abf0f72db02d1dcb3fdb921495.jpg

I also attempted both Magellanic Clouds, but much more processing is required before I'm happy with them

Huw

15 minutes ago, Astroblagger said:

nice must be nice to see the milkyway in all its glory like that.

Thanks both. Yes, we went out of town to a dark site with 'Time Travel Atacama' for an Astro evening, the sight of the Milky way going from one horizon to the other was well stunning.

Huw

Archived