NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

cpc800 and st120

just want to get opinions on my idea to mount an st120 onto my cpc800.

it would be fitted using a long plate designed for 8"scts with tube rings attached.

also i would use an adm counterweight to balance it.

can anyone see any issues if its all balanced correctly.

I did something similar a few years ago, and the key is very good balance on both axis, i cant stress that enough.

I had the ADM counterweight system as it lets you balance very well on both axis, i balanced mine perfectly on my workbench in the garage in daytime, and marked the counterweight rail as to where to slide the weights for any given set up, then at night it made it so much easier to get set up.

Also mine was used on an equatorial wedge, on a pier.. :)

Don't forget the CPC's have nylon bearings, and as you add weight to the scope, so too do you add load to, and reduce the life of, the bearings. There is a bearing mod you can do to replace the nylon ones for metal - especially if you're using a wedge and adding cameras, guide scopes, balance systems, etc. :)

21 hours ago, brantuk said:

Don't forget the CPC's have nylon bearings, and as you add weight to the scope, so too do you add load to, and reduce the life of, the bearings. There is a bearing mod you can do to replace the nylon ones for metal - especially if you're using a wedge and adding cameras, guide scopes, balance systems, etc. :)

yeah cheers brantuk i had already done the steel bearing upgrade and what a difference it made.a few of the nylon bearings had flat spots.

so mucxh smoother now with the steel bearings.

Archived