Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Two in one

vlebo

This is a quick report on my 2 new bits of stuff which I managed to take outside last night for a brief look at the heavens.

I have had my Flextube for a week now but have not had the chance to use it until last night and my Pentax 30 XW arrived yesteday.

First the Flextube. After putting it together and sliding in the Baader laser collimator the secondary was well out so after many calls to a very patient Steve I got it right and once that was done collimating the primary was easy. Ready to go.

Moving the scope around is not as difficult as you may think, it is easier to remove the tube from the mount and move them seperately, I did this about 5 times last night and it never lost collimation once. The only fault I found was the Baader colimator moved around a bit in the focuser but if you tighten it up the same way each time the problem is solved.

The Pentax 30 XW is quite an impressive piece of kit and is beautifully put together with a very solid feel to it. Putting it in the dob with the 2" adaptor and just firming up the handle on the Flextube ensured no movement at any angle.

I only had a short time outside before the clouds rolled in but what I did see was very impressive indeed. Crystal clear views right across the field of view and so many stars gathered in the eyepiece that you could not see with the naked eye it did not look real. Steve was right about the views, enough to take your breath away.

Cannot wait until I get a clear night and start hunting down some DSO's.

Thanks again to Steve for all the help and assistance whenever I needed it. Hopefully as I get more experienced the phonecalls should diminish, but then again.

Having recommended the Flextube to you, I'm genuinely pleased. I have Pentax eyepieces too (but not the 30mm) - they are an absolute delight to observe with. The combination must be fantastic - just wait till you have a really dark sky.

Mike

Archived