NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Opticron 8x42 Binoculars

philsail1

Bought a pair of Opticron 8x42 SR.GA Porro Prism Binoculars (picked them up at a car boot sale in Whitby whilst on hols last week, for £55.00). Don't know how old they are, but they seem in very good condition physically and optically.

I have not managed to try them out at night yet, but the day time views are exceptionally good. Here is a brief review.

8465_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

The binoculars are very comfortable to hold. Are well balanced in the hands, with good "ridged" grips to each barrel. The focusing whell is big, and turns smoothly. There is a good wide neck strap, to which is attached a soft plastic "rain guard" for the eyepiece end of the binoculars. The guard can be slid up and down the neck strap. The soft vinyl covered suede lined, and zipped case holds the binoculars as a snug fit. However, the nylon strap on the case is a bit short to put over your shoulder. The binoculars weight under 2lb.

8466_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

8467_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

8468_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

The eye relief seems to be very good, and when held with ones eyes comfortably held against the soft rubber eyecups, the binoculars feel comfortable for viewing. The rubber eyecups can be folded down half way or fully, for spectacle wearers. (I believe the latest model has twist up eyecups).

8469_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

8470_normal.jpeg

The large focuser is very easy to grip - even with gloves on. The "SR, GA" figures on the barrel indicates that this model has multi different coatings on all glass surfaces, giving much improved light transmission, and exceptional natural colour rendition in all light conditions. I can only agree that the views are crystal clear, and very sharp and bright, with good natural colour.

(click to enlarge)

8471_normal.jpeg

There is a an easy to use, smooth moving but secure, right eyepiece adjuster. (click to enlarge)

8472_normal.jpeg

The field of view is 6.3 degrees (approx 109ft at 1,000 yards. This is a little narrower than a cheap pair of 8x30's I have, but the view is such that it doesn't appear like you are looking into a dark tunnel.

(click to enlarge)

8473_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

8474_normal.jpeg

There is a good solid looking tripod adaptor, with equally solid screw fit cap.

(click to enlarge)

8475_normal.jpeg

As you can see, the view looking from front of objective lens, through the binocular, the view is completely unobstructed, and reflection free. (click to enlarge)

8476_normal.jpeg

The exit pupil is 5.25 and the multi coatings on all glass surfaces give a crystal clear, and sharp view, with very good natural colour rendition. Importantly, the view is sharp almost to the edge of the field of view. (to within about 5% of edge). There does not appear to be any distortion when viewing vertical and horizontal objects such as edges of buildings and roof tops.

(click to enlarge)

I am very, very pleased with the binoculars, and am eagerely waiting to try them out on the night sky.

The most important aspect which helped me make a decision to buy them (for me anyway) was the fact that I was able to give them a good test before buying. I don't think you can beat actually trying out a pair of binoculars before buying. It is that first impression when I picked them up and put them to my eyes, and instantly realised that they felt so comfortable and easy to hold and use. When the optical views through them were equally as good, I was convinced that they would be an excellent buy.

Regards,

philsail1

Hmmm, don't know what happend to some of the images there! I will post them again tomorrow!

Managed to test the binoculars this evening. Split the double double in Lyra. Saw Jupiter as a very small but pefectly round spot. Thought I could just make out pin pricks of light that were three of its moons. Tested the Opticrons against my Lidl 10x50's. The Opticron's easily gace a much brighter image and picked out many more fainter stars than the 10x50's.

And this was during an evening that is a bit misty.

Regards,

philsail1

Here are the missing photos from my review on the Opticron 8x42 SA.GR binoculars.

8502_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Field of view equates to approx 109ft at 1,000 yards. Whilst this is not as good as some "night" glasses, the view within the 6.3 degrees is crisp almost to the edge of field of view.

8503_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

As you can see, there is a good clean view through the objective lens, with hardly any reflections.

8504_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Likewise, when looking through the binoculars from the eyepiece end (held at arms length) - a good clean exit pupil, with very little evidence of reflections.

8505_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

There is a good strong looking tripod adaptor at the front end of the binoculars.

Thank you all for your positive coments! Yes, they are an excellent binocular and I would recommend this make and model to anyone.

regards,

philsail1

Archived