NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Meade ETX125 EC hand controller won't go past start-up screen

I've just bought a second hand Meade ETX 125 EC and having problems getting it started. The hand controller (#497) won't go past the start-up screen for some reason. The base is running on batteries which are all new, I plug the controller in, switch on the base unit, the hand controller starts up, but it won't go past the start-up screen. I have attached a picture of the screen. Things I have tried so far... I have left it on for several minutes to see if it will start on it's own. I've tried pressing all the keys plus holding down keys etc, I've unplugged the hand controller from the base and cable from the hand controller, plugged it all back together and started it up again, but same thing happens. I've tried wiggling the connections, but nothing is working. The only other thing to mention is when I first turned it on, the telescope  slewed vertically until it was in a fully upright position (this only lasted a couple of seconds as it was almost in a vertical position when I turned it on), but that only happened once. Any ideas what I can do to sort this?

FullSizeRender.jpg

4 hours ago, bendiddley said:

If it helps, I have just found out that the previous owner used to connect to the telescope via his computer

If I remember correctly, the etx still has to initialise and have the time and date set with the handbox before you can connect via a  PC - query with previous owner?

Inspect the springy contacts inside the handbox and the base sockets for corrosion, try cleaning with a pencil eraser.

Buy a replacement cable, it's the same plugs and wiring as a telephone handset cable.

The slewing at switchon might indicate a power problem, despite the handset lighting up.

Check for corrosion on the battery contacts, don't use rechargeables, their voltage is too low. Better still, get mains power brick.

Michael

• Like 1

I have an etx 125 and don't get any slewing on start up.  The handset just beeps after a couple of seconds and then goes into alignment mode. If Michaels suggestions don't work,  Are you going to SGL star party? If so you can try my handset and see if it works with your scope? Alternatively you could try and update the handset software here https://www.meade.com/support/auto.html you will need a serial connector to connect the handset to a pc, you might have one already with the scope, if not, I can send you a picture of one and you can buy it.  Hope that helps.

Steve

6 hours ago, Trikeflyer said:

I have an etx 125 and don't get any slewing on start up.  The handset just beeps after a couple of seconds and then goes into alignment mode. If Michaels suggestions don't work,  Are you going to SGL star party? If so you can try my handset and see if it works with your scope? Alternatively you could try and update the handset software here https://www.meade.com/support/auto.html you will need a serial connector to connect the handset to a pc, you might have one already with the scope, if not, I can send you a picture of one and you can buy it.  Hope that helps.

Steve

Thanks Steve. No not going to the star party I'm afraid. I'll give the handset update a go though after michaels suggestions. I have a serial cable for it which came with the scope. Is it only the handset that you can update on the etx125 or can you update anything on the base unit too?

• 1 year later...