Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

September 10, 2017: 28-pane, waning gibbous moon mosaic

michael.h.f.wilkinson

We returned quite late after a birthday party, and the skies were so clear I just had to have a shot at the waning gibbous moon. I set up the C8 shortly after midnight, and it clearly needed to cool down, and the moon needed to rise more to avoid the worst of the bad seeing. The city of Groningen lies south-eastwards, so I was keen to avoid the worst of the turbulence generated. I started imaging around 01:00. Seeing was still not great, but at least I could get some half-decent data. I caught 28 1000-frame SER files with the ASI178MM, stacked the best 200 frames in AS!3, post-processed with ImPPG, and stitched witj AutoStitch.

moon10092017mosaic.thumb.jpg.5f3173724ce7a73546b310dc20ba0c25.jpg

Best seen at full resolution, but beware, it is some 84 Mpixel in size.

This is not my best lunar mosaic, but I was glad to get it, because it is not a phase I image that much.

Hi Michael

Clicking on the image doesn't bring up the full res version. At least it's not working for me, perhaps it is for others?

ps - You might want to look into a great program called MoonPanoramaMaker for taking lunar mosaics. With the FOV of the 178MM you could have captured your mosaic in just 15 panels rather than 28, so I suspect you used an excessive amount of overlap (e.g 40% instead of about 25% which is easy with MPM). Great image btw! :icon_biggrin:

On 11/09/2017 at 14:51, Xiga said:

Hi Michael

Clicking on the image doesn't bring up the full res version. At least it's not working for me, perhaps it is for others?

ps - You might want to look into a great program called MoonPanoramaMaker for taking lunar mosaics. With the FOV of the 178MM you could have captured your mosaic in just 15 panels rather than 28, so I suspect you used an excessive amount of overlap (e.g 40% instead of about 25% which is easy with MPM). Great image btw! :icon_biggrin:

I could use that IF my mount allows computer control, which it doesn't (yet). This is all manual work. I would rather have too much overlap than miss a bit.

Regarding getting the full resolution version: clicking once doesn't get it. However, placing the mouse over the central part of the resulting image and clicking should get the full resolution version (8600 x 9400 or so)

Archived