NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

EQ6 Polar Alignment

daneel

I've never done a polar alignment before using the polar scope. I'm having a bit of trouble making sense of the instructions. I can't work out how to change the azimuth of the scope without physically picking up the mount and turning it. I can't believe this is the right way!

In the instructions it says that there is an azimuth adjustment knob. But the knob(s) it points to just clamp the mount to a black plastic post that sticks up from the tripod. How is this supposed to work?

Ramin.

These two bolts work against each other so if you undo one, you can tighten the other and vice versa - this action will rotate the mount on the top of the tripod. Once you have the mount aligned in Azimuth then you tighten the last 'loose' bolt and that locks the mount in position.

The following article on my website may also assist:-

http://www.nightskyimages.co.uk/polar_alignment.htm

Doh!

Yes just ran out and tried it. Of course! The adjustment is quite fine, which is just what you need. I suppose you still have to be pointing in roughly the right direction to start with, then do fine-adjustment with those two azimuth screws.

Fantastic link steppenwolf. Thanks for explaining it in terms I can understand Gaz.

I suppose you still have to be pointing in roughly the right direction to start with,

My recommendation here would be to centre the mount such that the Azimuth two bolts have the same amount of thread showing and then nudge the actual tripod around until Polaris is somewhere in the Polarscope. Now you will have plenty of adjustment left to do the final alignment with the bolts.

Archived