Designing a New Journal

MarkRadice

Hi all,

For years I have been using an A5 notepad to make notes and sketches at the telescope before typing them up the next day.  This simple approach has a number of shortcomings.  Older pages suffer from wear and tear as they are repeatedly exposed to dew and dust.  I have nowhere to put the variety of pens and pencils I am using; and I end up holding a red light and notepad in one hand while sketching with the other - and trying not to drop my eraser and other pencils.  I definitely need to be an octopus!  Also, my pre-prepared observing lists and comet finder charts tend to get lost of suffer in the dew. 

Having spent three nights last weekend at our dark sky sites on Salisbury Plain, I got fed up and spent this morning knocking up a simple journal from an old A5 folder, some laminated sheets and a bulldog clip as shown below. It also has a red light clipped to the front and I have ordered some pencil holders that should arrive next week.  I now have everything I need in one easy to grab journal. 

As an aside, I was wondering whether to get a few made up professionally, perhaps with some foil prints on the front.  What do you think?

Further details are on my blog: http://www.refreshingviews.com/designing-a-new-journal/

IMG_4533.JPG

IMG_4532.JPG

Archived