NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SCT Collimation

Kai

This is a question i asked on cloudynights a little while back.

it seemed a good idea to collimate for visual use with the diagonal in place, unless of course you collimate without and then adding your diagonal shows no difference at all.

when i was at telescopehouse last weds having my tak sct corrector cleaned, the scope was collimated without and then we added a TV everbrite 2 inch diagonal.

the everbrite had no effect at all indicating it itself was spot on collimated.

this may not be the case with others, so best thing is collimate without and then see if adding the diagonal causes a change. if it does, recollimate with it in place for visual use.

in particular with an sct, any error introduced by a diagonal will affect the image quality.

mike

Best to do it without for imaging I think Steve. However, the better the seeing the easier it is to collimate so you need to use a high star. This can make things uncomfortable to say the least. A more comfortable collimation may be a better collimation!

I now use an artificial star. Can then collimate with the scope at a comfortable angle on a cloudy night. You need to be able to get the star a good distance away from the scope though

You should always collimate an SCT straight. Diagonals are rarely 'in' unless you have an Everbrite. Making the scope compensate for a poor diagonal just lets everything down a peg. The diagional's not going to make a huge difference if it's a tad out, whereas if the scope's out you'll see it a mile off.

Archived