Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Advice for new guide cam

Thommy

Dear all,

My old QHY5 still works flawlessly, but since I plan to change from guide scope guiding to OAG, I consider a replacement with a more sensitive guide camera.

So in your opinion, what is the best suited guide camera right now for OAG use?

FYI, my telescope has a focal length of 1000mm and the pixelsize of my imaging camera is 8,2 x 8.4 (same chip as in SX Lodestar x2).

Thanks,

Thommy

Yeah, that's another option. The thing is that I need to buy an adapter to make my old guide camera (T2 thread) fit the OAG (C thread) and probably an extender as well to keep both cameras at focus simultaneously. That is why I consider to replace the guide camera. But of course if the new guide camera has a T2 thread as well, I have to get the adapter anyway. My idea was to wait for your recommendations, and if those guide cameras all need the adapter, I would start with the adapter and old camera first, and if this sensitive enough, I would stick to that, as you are suggesting - thanks!

Archived